Friday, February 12, 2010

Haiti

Under normal circumstances, the last 3 weeks I’ve spent in the infirmary might have consumed my thoughts. In the aftermath of the Haiti earthquake, I feel bad that I still have shelter, food, water, sanitary facilities, and medical attention, when so many do not. My heart goes out to those facing such devastation and loss of life. Americans are facing what may be the greatest economic crisis of this new century, yet Haitians have faced much worse conditions throughout their entire history. I see the pictures in the news coverage of people whose lives will never be the same, and who are desperate to hang onto what little they have left. It saddens me when I see media making statements that Haitians are “robbing and looting” stores as if they were criminals for wanting to eat and drink so that they could survive.

Just as devastating is the constant corruption endemic in whatever government rules Haiti. There is not much chance that the aid given to that nation will get to the people who really need it; it is likely to enrich only those who loot from The People of that nation. Two million people need help, yet aid has gotten to only 500,000, which means that 1 ½ million will likely die from starvation or disease.

This destruction, however, makes me count my blessings, which are plentiful. My body may be incarcerated, but my mind and heart are free, and my conscience is clear. All of us should look around and embrace what we do have with grace, while asking for God’s blessings on Haiti.